Sunday, October 14, 2012

Zucchini on the menu tonight

Tonight's dinner was DELICIOUS (or DE-WISH-OUS as DS says)!  I have to give credit where it is due, the idea came from a friend, a better blogger than I, Mami Mormon, she is awesome and makes some great things.

While hers sounded super yummy to me, we had to change ours up a bit due to the DD's allergies.  So here's what we had for dinner, with instructions:

Items needed:

Zucchini
Carrots
Garlic
Onion
Green Pepper
Tomatoes
Spinach
Mozzarella


  • Cut the zucchini in half and scoop out the center (put the center of zucchini into food processor to use later as part of the stuffing)

  • Add carrots, garlic, onion, and green pepper into food processor
  • Put the processor to work, and have it chop to your liking, I did it until it was pretty fine (pic below)
  • Dice tomatoes and spinach and toss into a bowl for later (we squeezed our tomato to de-seed it before we diced them)

  • Put everything from the food processor into a pan and sauté with the tinniest bit of evoo and your choice of seasoning (I used McCormick Perfect Pinch Roasted Garlic and Bell Pepper) 
  • Grate mozzarella into bowl of tomatoes and spinach then top with the sautéd ingredients
  • Mix well (the cheese should melt and help the mixture to stick together) 
  • Spoon mixture into the zucchini boats
* Note:  I had extra stuffing so I used it for our pasta




  • Bake at 425 for 15 minutes
  • After 15 minutes, pull them out and sprinkle with more cheese, pop back in to cook for 5 more minutes, then you're done!
While those bad boys were cooking, I got some corn ready for the family, and cooked some gluten free Tagliatelle pasta (this pasta is not just wheat/gluten free but also lactose free).  



  • Boil water, and add Tagliatelle pasta
  • Cook for 8 minutes
  • Drain
  • Add remaining stuffing from the zucchini
  • Sprinkle some fresh lemon juice over the pasta, and serve



These were GREAT!  The kids loved it as much as we parents did.  There was not one crumb left on the plate, in fact, DD asked "mom, can you eat the stem of the zucchini?"  When I answered, "I'm not sure, but I wouldn't", she said "oh, too late, cause my boat sunk in my stomach with the stem".

Well there you have it, our gluten free, vegetarian dinner.  Give it a try if you'd like, I know we'll be making this one again!


1 comment:

  1. You did great! I haven't seen those pasta noodles before, I'll have to see if I can find them around here!

    ReplyDelete